Information Architecture in UX: To offer a Delightful and Meaningful User Experience
Have you ever wondered, why some websites seem to be so appealing to your eyes? The secret behind this is the melding of information architecture along with design. The better the organization of information, which includes structure, label, and design across all your digital products, the better will be the user experience.
Findability, usability, and discoverability are the three main aspects of information architecture in UX. Want to know how? Stick till the end to discover everything about it.
What is Information Architecture(IA) in UX Design?
It is the visual representation of the organization, structure, and labeling of the information in the digital product. The main goal of IA is to offer a delightful user experience facilitating the user-centered design with a good navigation system. This enables users to easily find what they are looking for.
Here are the 4 main features of information structure in UX:
- SEARCH: Helps users in findability and discoverability to locate features and functionalities.
- LABELLING: Helps users to easily differentiate between intuitive labels with different meanings, be it a button, an option, or a feature.
- NAVIGATION: Helps users in moving from one page to the other for completing the desired action.
- ORGANIZATION: Helps users in the easy usage of the digital product by distributing the information in different categories, hierarchies, or sequences.
Why Information Architecture is Important in UX?
We all know that the better the user experience of our digital product, the more they will want to visit us. This is very helpful in user retention, especially in the era with lots of distracting information where people lose interest quickly. Thus, is it very effective and efficient?
Here are some benefits which will convince you of the need for good IA in UX:
- Brand impression: As we say “the first impression is the last impression”, which is followed here.
- More number of visitors: Good information always attracts more.
- More click-through rates: The more enhanced the labels are, the better will be the click-through rate (CTR).
- More potential customers: Great user experience will nurture your visitors into leads.
- More lead conversions and revenues: Once users are satisfied with your product, there are no boundaries to the revenue they can offer you.
Important Components of Information Architecture
Intending to provide customers with the utmost satisfaction, these 3 are essential components of IA:
- Ontology(meaning): It refers to the labeling of specific categories to make it easier for customers to home in on what they are looking for
- Taxonomy(categorization): It is a hierarchical classification of the products where similar products are grouped.
- Choreography: It is a mixture of ontology and taxonomy. It explains the user flow: the most expected path that customer follows to perform a specific task on the website.
5 Ways to Practice Information Architecture in UX
- Research and Analyze Targeted Users: The best way to practice this is to put yourself in the customers’ shoes and analyze how they want the interface to be and how can you create an interactive design based on it.
- Analyze Buyer Personas and User Scenarios: This will help you in the proper implementation of information architecture by understanding who your customers are, their mindset, what they think, what problems they are facing, and how to overcome them. You can focus on points regarding your customers like aspirations, language, daily routines, pain points, preferences, and keywords or phrases.
- Organization: Now display your information in such a way that users can easily navigate through it. You can follow any of the hierarchical, sequential, or matrix structures.
- Labeling: It is the process of naming different pages by prioritizing the user’s intuitiveness. Ex: home, about us, blog.
- Offering a Satisfying User Experience: It involves maintaining and connecting the website content right from visiting the website, locating features, performing any intended task, etc.
Best IA UX tools
The best result of using information architecture in UX is simplifying the complexity. With more digital transformation, you can only see data to be rising in the coming years, and investing in good UI UX design company and architects will simplify your task. So, to reap the benefits mentioned above, it’s high time to start following the IA practices.