What is Codeless Automation Testing?
Codeless automation testing means performing automation testing without using any programming or less code. Coding or scripting can be challenging for Testers because the scripting needs to be written in a well-known programming language which is tedious and consumes much of the tester's time.
We can minimize the testing time over repetitive test cases with the help of codeless automation. To expedite our test case creation and maximize testing reliability, codeless testing has become a great option to drive in.
Why Codeless Automation Tool?
Codeless test automation tools have become especially effective in running GUI-based tests. The visual workflow in a product can be used by anyone, even without advanced programming skills. According to World Quality Report, 2020–2021, advanced programming knowledge and experience are considered the blockers, when applying automated testing to an agile workflow. A codeless automation tool would be a reassurance to tackle the blocker.
Benefits of Codeless Automation Testing Tools
- Requires a little or no programming knowledge: I think this is evident in codeless tools. As a tester, you don’t need to know how to code or program if you are using codeless automation tools. Once you learn the tool, you can use it without any problem and you don’t need to understand what is happening in the front and back ends. You can record the steps of the tests while you execute them. You can later modify or add more steps to your tests if you need any changes.
- Simple to learn: For the same reason as above, it’s very easy to learn. It will be an add-on if you have a technical background. But it’s not mandatory. Considerably the codeless automation tool will take very little time compared to the automation scripting. Another benefit is that the created tests can be served for end-to-end regression testing to cover all the flows in the application.
- Generate test scripts faster: Once you have created the tests, code generation is done in a matter of seconds. That’s a lot faster than any experienced automation tester can write. This saves much valuable time for the testers, and they can concentrate on other tasks such as writing test cases or user stories and performing exploratory testing, etc.
- Easy to Set-up and low maintenance: Moving towards the next from programming skills, the testers will face some difficulties in setting up the automation testing framework and environment, roughly it would take an hour for a beginner to set up a framework. In a codeless automation tool, it is very simple. It is two steps away to start the scripting. A codeless automation tool like Selenium IDE is merely an add-on to the browser. It’s just one click away. In test project, it would take less than 5 minutes to set up and start the scripting. Some codeless automation tools are cloud-based, you just need to create an account and start scripting your tests in your tool of choice, no need to worry about any dependencies or maintenance hassles.
- Generate reports with ease: Generating an execution report after the execution is much needed. Furthermost the codeless automation tool has an in-built reporting feature. It’s a lot easier than with automation, where we need to add various libraries to get a report. Using these tools, we can do all the customization we needed on reports.
Below are two images of the login test case – one is set up with Selenium and the other with a codeless automation tool.
There is a surplus of benefits of codeless testing tools that outweigh the disadvantage or negative aspects of automation testing. These eventually save significant testing costs and time in scripting and convey quality through agreeable test coverage. However, these codeless tools need more documentation, features, customization, security, and modularity.
In a Nutshell
Software testers favour codeless test automation as an important component when it comes to the agile development procedure. It wouldn’t replace manual or automation testing completely but accelerate their work. It is still maturing with its unique advantages and requirements and also complements the picture’s whole automation tests.